Netflix Now 33% Of Peak Downstream Internet Traffic In U.S.: Study [Multichannel News]
Despite the significant subscriber losses it has endured recently, Netflix still accounts for a substantial percentage of downstream Internet traffic in the U.S. According to a recent report from Internet traffic management firm Sandvine, 32.7% of peak downstream traffic (between 7pm and 9pm) in the U.S. can be attributed to Netflix. Overall, online video viewing takes up roughly 60% of peak downstream traffic.
Sandvine's survey showed that only 20% of broadband users are using Netflix (and taking up 32.7% of the bandwidth). In comparison, over 80% of broadband users use YouTube, but that traffic only accounts for 11.3% of peak downstream traffic.
Sandvine also reported that of all the streaming online video, 55% comes from gaming consoles, set-tops, and connected TV's, while the other 45% comes from computers.